If your electrical box is set too deep into the wall, use this goof ring to extend the box to be flush with the surface of wall, backsplash, or sheetrock. This outlet box extension acts as a spark arrestor for a recessed outlet or switch that needs to be pulled out more from an electric box installed behind granite, tile, cabinetry, or other thick surfaces. With its flexible design and tapered sides, this box extender ring can easily adjust up to 1.5". Goof ring creates a slightly narrow electrical box opening at the surface (3/16" narrower opening than on a standard box) so can be a good solution for tight spots if the electrical box is set back about 1/4" from the surface. (Goof rings are slightly deeper than a regular electric box.) This solution may help in situations where you are installing devices between two obstructions that are slightly too close together.
Note: Narrow electrical boxes don't exist, but if you need skinny wall plates, see narrow outlet covers and switch plates for a variety of sizes.
- 4-1/4" x 2-5/16" x 1-13/16" deep tapered extender ring is designed slip into 1-gang electrical square boxes.
- Boxextenders fit into steel or plastic box opening that is 1-7/8" x 2-7/8".
- top opening of ring is 2-13/16" H x 1-13/16" W; base opening is 2-9/16" H x 1-9/16" W
- Spark ring slips over box then mounts with your electrical device's screws which typically are just under 3/4".
- Purchase long screws if needed: 1" electrical screws or 1.5" electrical screws
- UL listed.
- Commonly used as an arc shield or spark guard to add depth to a recessed outlet box when your electrical devices are too far back in the wall.
- Goof ring works with all standard devices - decorator rocker switches, toggle switches, dimmers, and duplex outlets.
- Maximum extension is 1.5"
- Made in USA by Arlington Industries.
Click Electrical Outlets, Light Switches, and Dimmers for Switchplates to find devices in black, light almond, brown, gray, white, ivory, or red.