Guard + hide! 8" x 8" light switch plate expander protects wallpaper and paint around 1-gang box. When used with standard or oversized 1-gang wall plates in any configuration, this 8" x 8" wall guard extends the size of a standard wallplate by 1-3/4" along the top and bottom, and by 2-5/8" on the left and right sides. Great solution for protecting wallpaper or grasscloth, preserving custom paint finishes, covering up overcut holes in granite, or hiding broken drywall, paint built-up, or lumpy caulking. These jumbo light switch and receptacle cover extenders work with all types of electrical devices making them an easy, affordable way to hide visual flaws or remodeling errors.
- Finish: white enamel that matches our white light switch wall plate covers.
- Extra large panel is slightly flexible allowing it to adapt to wall surface for use under all wall plate covers
- Steel extenders are 8" wide x 8" tall with 2 pass-though screw holes for attaching to 1-gang handy box
- Center cutout is 2" wide by 2.85" high with one set of box-mounting screw holes (vertically 3.281" apart center to center)
- Installs using your device or wall plate screws.
- expands area of around a standard single gang switchplate by an extra 1.75" vertically and 2.625" horizontally; (standard single plate is 2.75" x 4.5")
- designed to work on 1-gang electrical box
- pro tip: cover with wallpaper or use wall paint to blend seamlessly -see instructions for painting light switch covers
- Kyle Switch Plates exclusive design
Need this expander for a 2 gang box? See the 8" by 8" Wall Expander for 2 Gang Boxes.
Use this option when replacing some models of old thermostats such as NuHeat to hide unpainted areas.
Step 1: Turn off power off to the masonry box then remove your current single-gang light switch plate.
Step 2: Remove installation screws in the electrical device, then pull the device slightly away from box.
Step 3: Slip device through the large center cutout in the wall switch plate expander then align panel directly over the small holes in the electrical box. Position device on top of expander and mount electrical device screws through the device and expander cover directly into wall box mounting holes.
Step 4: Replace wall plate and screw into place. Tighten down as needed for a snug fit against the wall surface. Restore power to your electrical box.
2-Gang Box Compatibility:
There are 2 ways to use this over a 2-gang box:
1. With electrical device mounted in the center of the box (using a separate mud ring). There are different mud rings for different box types, so you will need to know which box you have. See our Guide for Centering 1 Device in a 2-Gang Box to identify the right mud ring for your handy box.
2. With device mounted on 1 side of box (expander off-center). Note not all sides of electrical box will be equally covered. See additional image of plate over blue 2-gang handy box.